Text Team Manager
Full Time, Temporary + Starts ASAP, ends December 31, 2017 + Competitive Pay + Excellent Benefits Work from anywhere in the continental U.S.
MoveOn.org’s high-level organizers, campaigners and operatives identify, develop, and execute high-impact and game-changing campaigns that empower MoveOn members to achieve concrete victories and further a progressive agenda. We are looking for a Text Team Manager who will specialize in scalable organizing through innovative use of the latest peer-to-peer SMS technology and a team of savvy and committed MoveOn volunteer members–the Text Team.
We’re seeking a passionate, inventive, collaborative colleague to expand the team in the critical fights that are already beginning in this new political era. The Text Team Manager will work closely with MoveOn’s mobile, field, electoral, and campaigns teams, and will report to MoveOn’s Mobile Innovation Director.
Our country is facing a unique threat from Trump, his bigoted, destructive, and corrupt politics, and the Republicans who control Congress. We’ll need to oppose and resist Trump’s agenda in Washington, defend and support frontline communities facing attacks both from his vicious policies and from an increase in hate crimes and harassment, and lay the groundwork for electoral victories.
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice.
- You will use peer-to-peer texting to facilitate one-to-one conversations between member-leaders and the members that they’re contacting to take a range of actions in support of a progressive agenda.
- You will develop scalable ways to recruit, train, and manage a team of super-volunteers, or member-leaders, who constitute the Text Team’s onboarding team, chat room/Slack channel moderators, data support, and other specialized roles.
- You will collaborate with MoveOn’s tech team to maximize the integration between our core tech stack and our peer to peer SMS tools.
- In service of creating the best mobile experience for members, you will become familiar with MoveOn’s email, petitions, and event platforms.
- You will manage relationships with colleagues on our Field, Tech, Analytics and Campaigns teams in a collaborative setting to produce the best member experience possible.
Required skills and experience:
- Experience in volunteer team management, including training and leadership development.
- Commitment to listening to and empowering members.
- Strong writing skills for a popular audtience .
- Ability to parse and re-organize spreadsheets quickly using formulas Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or similar spreadsheet software.
- Ability to understand database schema and conceptualize or write database queries, or willingness to learn.
- Self-directedness, as you will be driving your own output in our virtual office.
- A team spirit, or the ability to work together with an attitude of “low ego, high output,” trusting each other, communicating honestly, and pitching in on across projects.
Nice to have:
- Experience with field or community organizing.
- Proficiency in Twilio, Slack, SQL, and/or ActionKit.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Reports to: Mobile Innovation Director
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, temporary; highly competitive salary, including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; 13.32 hours accrued vacation per month, 6.66 hours accrued sick leave per month; and reimbursement of home office expenses and enrollment in our retirement savings account after 6 months of employment.
Applications are being accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until April 7, 2017.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.