Resistance Summer Field Director
Temporary and Exempt, Full-Time • Starts May 30 or June 5, 2017; ends by September 29, 2017 • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Continental US • Some Travel Required • Applications Due May 19, 2017
Help build the next phase of the resistance
With the first 100 Days of Resistance to Trump’s agenda behind us, we are trading our sprinting spikes for our marathon shoes. The Resistance Summer Field Director at MoveOn will lead a team of talented organizers to strategize, plan, and execute powerful field campaigns and actions during MoveOn’s Resistance Summer program, which aims to train 1000 community leaders in organizing skills, build power for elections, and win campaign victories.
MoveOn.org and its millions of members are at the center of the grassroots, people-powered movement to resist Trump, build the multiracial populist movement, and win power to build a progressive future. 60,000 people joined our first Ready to Resist Sunday night strategy and training call; two days later, 15,000 people rallied at their member of Congress’ district offices; in February 100,000 people took part in the first Resistance Recess of the Trump administration — derailing TrumpCare and protecting health care for millions of Americans. And now we’ve launched Resistance Summer.
This is an opportunity to build a scaled, nationwide grassroots organizing program in concert with movement allies, develop a team of talented organizers, and lead actions with tens of thousands of grassroots activists around the country.
The MoveOn team works and lives in communities around the country, providing employees tremendous flexibility to live and work anywhere in the continental United States. MoveOn staff are embedded in the communities that make up America, and we pursue the healthy development of community and social connections outside of our work lives.
- Build, manage, lead, develop, and coach a team of talented field campaign managers to execute the goals of Resistance Summer.
- Strategize, plan, and execute powerful field campaigns and national days of action that impact decision-makers and outcomes on timely issues with national and local impact. For the Resistance Summer program, that includes 1000 Community Cookouts June 24-25, hundreds of neighborhood canvassed in July, accountability actions in August during the August congressional recess, and rapid response events.
- Manage creation and deployment of the digital recruitment stream to support local organizing: recruitment, reminder, and logistics emails; signs, creative materials for actions (like bringing crutches and slings to a member of Congress’ district office for a health care media event). Work with Resistance Summer Training Director to develop training materials, and with Field Campaign Managers to create action toolkits.
- Develop systems and recommendations for to support diverse leadership in MoveOn’s volunteer field network beyond the summer program.
- Working with the Resistance Summer Training Director, develop and lead trainings for a wide audience.
- Conduct site visits to various locations in the United States to learn from and work with volunteer leaders.
- Maintain a regular calendar of actions and activities for the volunteer field network.
- Tell the story of the movement through social media and earned media; represent MoveOn members to the press and identify member-leaders to talk to reporters.
- Managing relationships with partner organizations for successful joint campaigns and partnerships.
- Participate as a full member of our national team, contributing to shared learning and mutual accountability.
Required skills and experience:
- Substantial demonstrated success leading, managing, coaching and developing staff teams of high-performing organizers. Excellent staff management and coaching skills attuned to managing staff from different organizing backgrounds (issue, electoral, community, faith-based, union, etc.).
- Experience working on both electoral and issue advocacy campaigns.
- Has developed, written, and executed successful campaign plans that demonstrate effective strategy and creativity.
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills.
- Experience writing and editing top quality organizing materials including action guides, event agendas, and recruitment, reminder, and logistics emails.
- Experience organizing effective rapid response actions.
- Demonstrated professionalism with colleagues and partners.
- Comfort using or learning data and digital systems including VAN voter file, and CRMs like Action Kit and Action Network.
Reports to MoveOn’s Organizing Director, manages Field Campaign Managers, and provides leadership within MoveOn’s Field Team.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification: Temporary and Exempt, Full-Time.
Salary, and Benefits: Competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; 3 floating holidays; July 3 and 4th as paid holidays; 6.66 hours of sick leave accrued per month; and reimbursement of office expenses.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application. Applications due May 19, 2017.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.